This guide will show you how to create assignments on DPR for students in your classes.
Creating an Assignment
- Navigate to the Assignment Portal by clicking on the calendar icon on the top right-hand side
- Click on the “Create” button on the top right-hand side
- Fill in all sections of the assignment creation form:
- Under “Class:” multiple classes can be selected if you wish to assign homework to more than one class
- Under “Students:” you can either select all students of a certain class by clicking “Class of” or you can select certain students by clicking on their names
- You can also search for specific students by entering their name in this field and clicking on the individual students
- Rather than writing out a description of the assignment, you can use the voice description feature by checking the “Use Voice Description” checkbox under “Instruction”
- You can link relevant key objectives to the assignment by selecting the relevant KOs under “Linked Ko(s):”
- By checking the “Unlimited Timeframe” checkbox, the assignment will have no due date
- This can be used for work such as Controlled Assessments, which may run from the beginning to the end of the year
- Drag the file or use the file picker to upload files related to the document
- If you use Google Drive, you can link google drive documents by clicking on the third tab under “Attachments”
- Click “CREATE ASSIGNMENT”
Providing feedback for submitted assignments
- In order to provide feedback for submitted assignments, select the relevant assignment and then click the second tab called “Submissions”
- Here you will be presented with a list of all the students this particular homework has been assigned to. Under each of their names is two symbols, representing whether that student has viewed the assignment and also whether the student has submitted the assignment
- To select which students you would like to provide feedback for, check the tick boxes on the right of the specific students. Otherwise, if you would like to provide feedback for all students at once, click the “SELECT ALL” button
- Submitted assignments can be marked as complete, late or incomplete and also graded from outstanding to requires improvement
- Feedback can also be written or recorded using the voice recorder. Helpful documents can also be uploaded by dragging files or using the file picker. Alternatively, if you use google drive, you can link google drive documents to the feedback
- Ensure that you click the “APPLY CHANGES” button
Key management consideration
- DPR can be used to ensure all homework set is in line with the KOs that are being worked towards throughout the academic year. It records the type of homework set, the frequency of homework set and the quality of student submissions. Over time, DPR can be used to measure the impact the homework is having in students’ learning through Assignment Analytics
- We recommend school leaders to introduce the rationale behind the Assignment Portal to all staff and lay down the expectations for tracking and monitoring
- Assemblies can be used to introduce this feature to students
- School leaders should analyse the assignment data half termly, which can be broken down by faculties, departments and by individual teachers.
- School leaders can also spot check the quality of homework set by interacting and previewing set/submitted pieces in the DPR. This could be done in various ways, including through the Subject Area Access and through the Strategic Overview.
- Subject leaders should be expected to analyse their own department data regularly; class teachers should be encouraged to do the same against their own classes.
- We recommend the school leaders to lay down clear expectations by updating the school policy on homework.